Iowa Appraisal and Research Corp

Land Trends & Values - Iowa Chapter of REALTORS® Land Institute - September 1, 2017

Posted on 09/13/2017 at 04:56 PM by Jim Rothermich

Iowa Farmland Values Increase

Iowa farmland values appear to be going up, according to the Iowa Chapter of REALTORS® Land Institute Land Value Survey released on September 12, 2017. 

The twice-yearly survey of farm real estate professionals finds Iowa farmland values edged slightly higher in the six-month period ending September 1.  The survey, conducted by the Iowa Chapter of REALTORS® Land Institute (RLI), found on average, tillable crops rose 2.0% from March 2017 to September 2017.  This increase combined with the 0.9% increase reported in March 2017 indicates a statewide average increase of 2.9% for the year from September 1, 2016 to September 1, 2017.

All but one of the Iowa crop reporting districts showed an increase in average farmland value.  The districts varied from a -0.5% decrease in the south central district to a 3.6 increase in the northeast district since March 2017.

Major factors contributing to current farmland values include:  lower commodity prices, limited amount of land on the market, and growing conditions in the regions.  Other factors include:  lack of stable alternative investments, cash on hand, and increasing interest rates.

To read more, click the following links:

RLI 2017 Fall Press Release

RLI Land Value Survey – September 1, 2017

“That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!”  Please check back next week to see what the Iowa land market is doing.

Jim “the Land Talker”

@theLandTalker
Monthly Iowa land auction results email:  Click here to subscribe.

Comments
There are no comments yet.
Add Comment

* Indicates a required field

© 2019 Iowa Appraisal and Research Corp. All rights reserved.